- •Findings support the use of scaffolded simulation in nurse practitioner education.
- •Structured debriefing is essential translating knowledge to clinical practice.
- •Multiple sources of feedback advance formational learning.
- •Three themes emerged: authenticity, confidence, and harmonization.
- •Develop tools to evaluate competency acquisition through simulation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
- Simulation-based learning: No longer a novelty in undergraduate education.OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2018; 23https://doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol23No02PPT39
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2021, April 6). The Essentials: Core competencies for professional nursing education. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/AcademicNursing/pdf/Essentials-2021.pdf
- The promoting excellence and reflective learning in simulation Promoting Excellence and Reflective Learning in Simulation (PEARLS) approach to health care debriefing: A faculty development guide.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12 (…&): 419-428https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.05.002
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practice: The debriefing process.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 27-32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.08.011
- Virtual reality skills training for health care professionals in alcohol screening and brief intervention.Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2009; 22 (… Skochelak, S): 387-398https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2009.04.080208
- Effects of using simulation versus CD-ROM in the performance of ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia.AANA Journal. 2012; 80: S56-S59
- Objective structured clinical examinations as a method of competency evaluation in a primary care nurse practitioner program.Nurse Educator. 2021; 46: 317-321https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000951
- Competency-based education in transitioning nurse practitioner students from education into practice.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019; 31: 675-682https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000327
- Evaluating simulation education.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2019; 35: 289-290https://doi.org/10.1097/NND.0000000000000579
- INACSL standards of best practice: Simulation facilitation.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12: S16-S20
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practiceTM.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 1-4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.08.018
- A call to action: Building evidence for use of simulation in nurse practitioner education.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019; 31: 627-632https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000335
- After-hours/on-call simulation in primary care nurse practitioner education.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 26: 49-53https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2018.05.002
- Embracing disruption: Measuring effectiveness of virtual simulations in advanced practice nurse curriculum.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 57: 41-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.04.017
- Updating the simulation effectiveness tool: Item modifications and reevaluation of psychometric properties.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2015; 36: 317-323https://doi.org/10.5480/15-1671
- The Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE) Standards of Best Practice (SOBP).Advances in Simulation. 2017; 2 (…): 10https://doi.org/10.1186/s41077-017-0043-4
- Validity and reliability of objective structured clinical evaluation in nursing.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2017; 13: 531-543https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.07.003
National Task Force on & Quality Nurse Practitioner Education. (2016). Criteria for evaluation of nurse practitioner programs (5th edition). https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/EvalCriteria2016Final.pdf
- Simulation in advanced practice nursing programs: A North-American survey.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 26: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2018.09.005
- State of simulation research in advanced practice nursing education.Annual Review of Nursing Research. 2021; 39: 33-51https://doi.org/10.1891/0739-6686.39.33
- Getting a head start: High-fidelity, simulation-based operating room team training of interprofessional students.Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2014; 218 (…): 140-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.09.006
- Enhancing clinical decision making: Development of a contiguous definition and conceptual framework.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2014; 30: 399-405https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2014.01.006
- The impact of an intentional APRN student clinical experience on role transition towards becoming a clinically competent practitioner; pilot study.Journal of advanced nursing. 2021; 77: 2050-2053https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14746
- Exploring self-debriefing plus group-debriefing: A focus group study.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 43: 3-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.03.007
- Using simulation to prepare for clinicals in front-loaded FNP curricula.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 39: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.11.002