- •Virtual reality simulation could close a gap in cultural competence education.
- •The content of a new virtual simulation was designed based on theoretical models.
- •The immersive virtual simulation had high levels of usability and satisfaction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
- Advancing leadership education and development: Integrating adult learning theory.Journal of Management Education. 2022; 46: 252-283https://doi.org/10.1177/10525629211008645
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2008). Cultural competency in baccalaureate nursing education. American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Washington, DC. Retrieved May 15, 2022 from https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/AcademicNursing/CurriculumGuidelines/Cultural-Competency-Bacc-Edu.pdf.
- Nursing: Scope and standards of practice.3rd ed. Nursesbooks.org, Silver Springs, MD2015
- A teaching framework for cross-cultural health care - Application in family practice.The Western Journal of Medicine. 1983; 139: 934-938
- What's in a name? Clarifying the nomenclature of virtual simulation.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 27: 26-30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2018.11.003
- Experience of migrant care and needs for cultural competence training among public health workers in Korea.Public Health Nursing. 2018; 35: 211-219https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12390
- Effectiveness of virtual simulation to enhance cultural competence in pre-licensure and licensed health professionals: A systematic review.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 56: 137-154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.04.013
- What are the learning affordances of 3-D virtual environments?.British Journal of Educational Technology. 2010; 41: 10-32https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.01038.x
- Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology.MIS Quarterly. 1989; 13: 319-340
- Qualitative content analysis: A focus on trustworthiness.SAGE open. 2014; 4: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244014522633
- Measuring the impact of a 3D simulation experience on nursing students' cultural empathy using a modified version of the Kiersma-Chen Empathy Scale.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2015; 24: 2849-2858https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12893
- Vol. 1. Retrieved May 15, 2022 from http://doi.org/10.12753/2066-026X-15-020.
- Effects of simulation-based clinical reasoning education and evaluation of perceived education practices and simulation design characteristics by students nurses.The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2015; 15: 206-218
- Retrieved March 9, 2022 from http://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.03.206.
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence. ICN Position Statements. Genève.
- A review of the use of virtual reality head-mounted displays in education and training.Education and Information Technologies. 2018; 23: 1515-1529https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-017-9676-0
- Immersive VR and education: Embodied design principles that include gesture and hand controls.Frontiers in Robotics and AI. 2018; 5: 81https://doi.org/10.3389/frobt.2018.00081
- Influence of multicultural awareness and cultural sensitivity on intercultural communication skills for the Korean nursing students.Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2017; 18: 459-468https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459
- Psychometric evaluation of the PSSUQ using data from five years of usability studies.International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. 2002; 14: 463-488https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2002.9669130
- The BATHE method: incorporating counseling and psychotherapy into the everyday management of patients.Primary Care Companion to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 1999; 1: 35-39
Lioce, L., Lopreiato, J., Downing, D., Chang, T.P., Robertson, J.M., … Anderson, M., & the Terminology and Concepts Working Group. (2020). Healthcare Simulation Dictionary –Second Edition. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Retrieved May 15, 2022 from https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/patient-safety/resources/simulation/sim-dictionary-2nd.pdf.
- Health care professionals’ understandings of cross-cultural interaction in end-of-life care: A focus group study.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0165452https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0165452
- Designing instructional systems.in: Craig R.L. The ASTD training and development handbook. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York1996: 266-293
National League for Nursing. (2004). Simulation design scale (Student version) December 22. National League for Nursing. Washington, DC. Retrieved March 9, 2022 from https://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/uploadedfiles/professional-development-programs/nln-instrument-simulation-design-scale.pdf?sfvrsn=56f5d60d_0.
- Nursing simulation: A review of the past 40 years.Simulation & Gaming. 2009; 40: 528-552https://doi.org/10.1177/1046878109332282
- The effects of simulation-based learning using standardized patients in nursing students: A meta-analysis.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: e6-e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.01.019
- Reasons to use virtual reality in education and training courses and a model to determine when to use virtual reality.Themes in Science and Technology Education. 2009; 2: 59-70
- A comparison between oculus rift and a low-cost smartphone VR headset: immersive user experience and learning.in: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), Timisoara, Romania2017: 477-481
- Virtual reality simulations in nurse education: A systematic mapping review.Nurse Education Today. 2021; 101104868https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2021.104868
- Minimizing cyber sickness in head mounted display systems: design guidelines and applications.in: Proceedings of the 5th international conference on serious games and applications for health (SeGAH), Perth, WA, Australia2017: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1109/SeGAH.2017.7939283
- Virtual-world hospital simulation for real-world disaster response: Design and validation of a virtual reality simulator for mass casualty incident management.The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2014; 77: 315-321https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0000000000000308
- The Purnell model for cultural competence.Journal of Multicultural Nursing & Health. 2005; 11: 7-15
- The effects of scenario types on teacher efficacy of pre-service teachers and virtual presence in the virtual reality based teaching simulation.Journal of Korean Association for Educational Information and Media. 2016; 22: 661-680
- Retrieved March 9, 2022 from http://doi.org/10.15833/KAFEIAM.22.3.661.
- The effect of age and gender on intentional use of e-book based on technology acceptance model for college students.The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies. 2013; 25: 623-647
- Retrieved March 9, 2022 from http://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2013.25.3.623.
- Using clinical simulation to enhance culturally competent nursing care: A review of the literature.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2015; 11: 228-243https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2015.01.004
- The influence of virtual presence: Effects on experienced cognitive load and learning outcomes in educational computer games.Computers in Human Behavior. 2012; 28: 648-658https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.11.011
- Virtual reality experience: Immersion, sense of presence, and cybersickness.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 38: 35-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.09.006
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practiceTM simulation design.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 14-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.08.009
- Taking the patient to the classroom: Applying theoretical frameworks to simulation in nursing education.International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 2007; 4: 18https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1317
- The 3D Model of Debriefing: Defusing, Discovering, and Deepening.Seminars in Perinatology. 2011; 35: 52-58