- •Screen-based simulation (SBS) activities incorporated into the Continued Professional Certification (CPC) Program could target and improve the management of high-acuity, low-frequency events like intraoperative emergencies.
- •Simulation modalities like SBS offer greater distribution, accessibility, and scalability than in-person simulation and should be explored for potential inclusion in the CPC Program.
- •Quality improvement projects and research on SBS are needed to guide future use of SBS for recertifying CRNAs and the CPC Program.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The history of simulation and its impact on the future.AACN Advanced Critical Care. 2016; 27: 56-61https://doi.org/10.4037/aacnacc2016436
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. (2021). Certified registered nurse anesthetists fact sheet. Retrieved from https://www.aana.com/membership/become-a-crna/crna-fact-sheet.
American Society of Anesthesiologists. (2021). Navigate anesthesia emergencies through realistic simulations. Retrieved from https://www.asahq.org/education-and-career/educational-and-cme-offerings/simulation-education/anesthesia-simstat?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwY-LBhD6ARIsACvT72PPlwBkRcpUnrhQE3LuW2QVJbR_QKINgHQSrDBuVVMzBPyQtrU-sAoaAsqNEALw_wcB.
- Recertification and reentry to practice for nurse anesthetists using high-fidelity simulation: Phase III.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2020; 11: 22-32https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(20)30131-9
- Finding teaching-learning opportunities in the current crisis of COVID-19 and the demand for online nursing education.Educating Nurses. 2020; (Retrieved from)https://www.educatingnurses.com/finding-teaching-learning-opportunities-in-the-current-crisis-of-covid-19-and-the-demand-for-online-nursing-education/
- SUS: A retrospective.Journal of Usability Studies. 2013; 8 (Retrieved from): 29-40
- Recertification and reentry to practice for nurse anesthetists, phase II: Evaluating reentry to anesthesia practice using high-fidelity simulation technology.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2019; 10: 21-30https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(19)30112-7
- Validation of educational assessments: A primer for simulation and beyond.Advances in Simulation. 2016; 1: 31https://doi.org/10.1186/s41077-016-0033-y
- High-fidelity mannequin simulation versus virtual simulation for recognition of critical events by student registered nurse anesthetists.American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal. 2019; 87 (Retrieved from): 105-109https://www.aana.com/docs/default-source/aana-journal-web-documents-1/high-fidelity-mannequin-simulation-versus-virtual-simulation-for-recognition-of-critical-events-by-student-registered-nurse-anesthetists-april-2019.pdf?sfvrsn=39513ada_8
- Validity evidence for a serious game to assess performance on critical pediatric emergency medicine scenarios.Simulation in Healthcare: Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. 2018; 13: 168-180https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0000000000000283
- Cost-utility analysis of virtual and mannequin-based simulation.Simulation in Healthcare. 2018; 13: 33-40https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0000000000000280
- Recertification and reentry to practice for nurse anesthetists: Determining core competencies and evaluating performance via high-fidelity simulation technology.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2018; 8: 43-55https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(17)30181-3
- Development and evaluation of a new serious game for continuing medical education of general practitioners (Hygie): Double-blinded randomized controlled trial.Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2019; 21: e12669https://doi.org/10.2196/12669
- Serious gaming for orthotopic liver transplant anesthesiology: A randomized control trial.Liver Transplantation. 2017; 23: 430-439https://doi.org/10.1002/lt.24732
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2016; 15: 155-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2016.02.012
- Enhancing stroke assessment simulation experience in clinical training using augmented reality.Virtual Reality. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-020-00475-1
- Healthcare Simulation Dictionary – Edition.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2020https://doi.org/10.23970/simulationv2
- Determination and quantification of content validity.Nursing Research. 1986; 35 (Retrieved from): 382-386https://journals.lww.com/nursingresearchonline/Citation/1986/11000/Determination_and_Quantification_Of_Content.17.aspx
- Healthcare Simulation Standards of best practice prebriefing: Preparation and briefing.Clinical Simulation In Nursing. 2021; 58: 9-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.08.008
- Using virtual reality simulation environments to assess competence for emergency medicine learners.Academic Emergency Medicine. 2018; 25: 186-195https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.13308
- The assessment of clinical skills/competence/performance.Academic Medicine: Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 1990; 65: S63-S67https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199009000-00045
National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. (2017). NBCRNA reviewing future alternatives to CPC program exam. Retrieved from https://www.nbcrna.com/docs/default-source/publications-documentation/press-releases-and-statements/statement_nbcrna_revg_cpcexam_alternatives.pdf.
National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. (2018). CPC program: Continued professional certification. Retrieved from https://www.nbcrna.com/docs/default-source/continued-certification/cpc-toolkit/20160414_cpc_brochure.pdf.
National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. (2022a). About the NBCRNA. Retrieved from https://www.nbcrna.com/about-us.
National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. (2022b). Simulation centers. Retrieved from https://www.nbcrna.com/continued-certification/reentry-program/simulation-centers.
- How to identify and prioritize procedures suitable for simulation-based training: Experiences from general needs assessments using a modified delphi method and a needs assessment formula.Medical Teacher. 2018; 40: 676-683https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2018.1472756
- Virtual reality healthcare simulation: Economic evaluation and return on investment.Oxford Medical Simulation. 2019; (Retrieved from)
- A serious game for anesthesia-based crisis resource management training.Computers in Entertainment. 2018; 16: 1-16https://doi.org/10.1145/3180660
- Benchmarking study on continuing certification in healthcare and allied health fields: Program variables, commonalities, and trends.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2021; 12: 34-40https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(21)00054-5
Stanford Anesthesia Cognitive Aid Program. (2021). Emergency manual: Cognitive aids for perioperative crises. Retrieved from https://emergencymanual.stanford.edu/downloads/.
- Distance education in anesthesia using screen-based simulation – A brief integrative review.Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2020; 11: 563-567https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S266469
- A novel multiplayer screen-based simulation experience for African learners improved confidence in management of postpartum hemorrhage.Frontiers in Public Health. 2017; 5: 1-7https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2017.00248
- Applying Kane's validity framework to a simulation based assessment of clinical competence.Advances in Health Sciences Education: Theory and Practice. 2018; 23: 323-338https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-017-9800-3
- System usability scale (SUS).Usability.Gov, 2021 (Retrieved from)
- Taking the patient to the classroom: Applying theoretical frameworks to simulation in nursing education.International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 2007; 4 (Article18)https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1317
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practice simulation design.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 14-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.08.009
- Simulation-based assessment of the management of critical events by board-certified anesthesiologists.Anesthesiology. 2017; 127: 475-489https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001739
- Using the Delphi technique in nursing research.Nursing Standard. 2015; 29: 43-49https://doi.org/10.7748/ns.29.39.43.e8804
☆This project did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.