- •Clinical simulation is an increasingly vital part of clinical health care education.
- •Simulation allows for standardization of training experiences with patients.
- •SPS practice reduces the limitations of clinical practice for undergraduate nursing students.
- •SPS practice increases nursing students’ self-efficacy, communication skills, problem-solving and learning satisfaction.
- •SPS practice is more effective for nursing education than standard training alone.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Synthesizing standardized mean-change measures.British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology. 1988; 41: 257-278https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8317.1988.tb00901.x
- Using simulation in a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner doctoral program.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2016; 32: 458-462https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.03.009
- Nursing students’ problem solving, and clinical competence between standard patient and high-fidelity simulator simulation.Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2015; 5: 29-36https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.04.27
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.Academic Press, New York, NY1988
- Using standardized patients in enhancing undergraduate students’ learning experience in mental health nursing.Nurse Education Today. 2016; 45: 167-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.08.005
- Simulations with Standardized Patients for Nursing Students in Preparation for Clinical Placements in Mental Health Care.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 54: 70-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2021.01.009
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Controlled Clinical Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- High-fidelity simulation in undergraduate nursing education: A review of simulation reviews.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12: 290-302https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.01.009
- Using virtual simulation to develop clinical judgment in undergraduate nursing students.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 48: 55-58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2020.08.010
- Undergraduate nursing students’ subjective attitudes to curriculum for simulation-based objective structured clinical examination.Nurse Education Today. 2016; 36: 11-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.05.018
- Experience of nursing students with standardized patients in simulation-based learning: Q-method study.Nurse Education Today. 2018; 66: 123-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.04.023
- The NCSBN national simulation study: A longitudinal, randomized controlled study replacing clinical hours with simulation in prelicensure nursing education.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2014; 5: S3-S40https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(15)30062-4
Higgins, J. (2011). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration. Available at: http://handbook.cochrane.org
- Effects of simulation-based learning on nursing students’ perceived competence, self-efficacy, and learning satisfaction: A repeat measurement method.Nurse Education Today. 2021; 97 (doi:)104725https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2020.104725
- Nursing students’ transfer of learning outcomes from simulation-based training to clinical practice: A focus-group study.BMC Nursing. 2019; 18: 53https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-019-0376-5
- Effects of simulation-based education for emergency patient nursing care in Korea: A meta-analysis.Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2017; 21: 1-11https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2019.21.1.1
- Effects of a standardized patient simulation program for nursing students on nursing competence, communication skill, self-efficacy and critical thinking ability for blood transfusion.Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2015; 22: 49-58https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.1.49
- Development and application of integrated-simulation practice program using standardized patients: Caring for alcoholism with diabetes mellitus in the community.Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2016; 17: 662-672https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.662
- Systematic review of Korean studies on simulation within nursing education.Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2013; 19: 307-319https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.307
- A meta-analysis of the effect of simulation-based education for delivery nursing in Korea.Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health. 2016; 20 (doi:): 297-309https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2016.20.3.297
- A meta-analysis of the effect of simulation-based education-Korean nurses and nursing students.Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2015; 21 (doi:): 308-319https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.308
- Effects on problem solving ability and learning satisfaction of nursing students of receiving a teaching method using standardized patients-blood transfusion.Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2015; 22: 406-415https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.4.406
- Effects of psychiatric nursing practicum using simulated patients on self-directed learning readiness, learning self-efficacy, satisfaction of learning.Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2014; 14: 396-408https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.396
- NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention (internet).National Evidence-Based Healthcare Collaborating Agency, Seoul2011
- Qualitative evaluation of a standardized patient clinical simulation for nurse practitioner and pharmacy students.Nurse Education in Practice. 2014; 14: 740-746https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2014.10.005
- Exploring the use of standardized patients for simulation-based learning in preparing advanced practice nurses.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: 894-899https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.03.004
- Effects of high-fidelity simulation based on life-threatening clinical condition scenarios on learning outcomes of undergraduate and postgraduate nursing students: A systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025306https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025306
- Effects of convergence-based simulation education on the problem-solving ability, self-efficacy and performance confidence of core fundamental nursing skill for nursing students.Journal of Convergence for Information Technology. 2020; 10: 44-50https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2020.10.01.044
- Effects of the use of high-fidelity human simulation in nursing education: A meta-analysis.Journal of Nursing Education. 2015; 54: 501-507https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20150814-04
- The effects of simulation training with hybrid model for nursing students on nursing performance ability and self-confidence.Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2013; 25: 170-182https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.170
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration.Journal of clinical epidemiology. 2009; 62: e1-e34https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.06.006
- Planning and applying simulation-based practice for the achievement of program outcomes in nursing students.Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2015; 21: 393-405https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.393
- Evaluating high-fidelity human simulators and standardized patients in an undergraduate nursing health assessment course.Nurse Education Today. 2012; 32: 448-452https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.04.011
- A critical review of simulation-based medical education research: 2003–2009.Medical Education. 2010; 44: 50-63https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03547.x
- Combining effect size estimates in meta-analysis with repeated measures and independent-groups designs.Psychological Methods. 2002; 7: 105-125https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989x.7.1.105
- Predictors of career commitment and job performance of Jordanian nurses.Journal of Nursing Management. 2008; 16: 246-256
- NLN/Jeffries simulation framework state of the science project: Simulation learning outcomes.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2014; 10: 373-382https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2014.06.004
- The Impact of Nursing Students’ Learning Satisfaction on Motivation to Transfer in the Practicum of Psychiatric Nursing Convergence Simulation Using Standardized Patients: Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy in learning.Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 2020; 11: 375-383https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2020.11.9.375
- The effects of simulation-based learning using standardized patients in nursing students: A meta-analysis.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: e6-e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.01.019
- The effect of standardized patient simulation before mental health rotation on nursing students’ anxiety and communication skills.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2020; 41: 251-255https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2019.1642427
- Implementing standardized patients within simulation in a nurse practitioner program.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2015; 11: 208-213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2015.02.002
- The effect of simulation courseware on critical thinking in undergraduate nursing students: Multi-site pre–post study.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: 537-542https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.12.004
- Nursing student perceptions of standardized patient use in health assessment.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12: 368-376https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.04.007
Smithson, J., Bellingan, M., Glass, B., & Mills, J. (2015). Standardized patients in pharmacy education: An integrative literature review. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 7(6), 851–863. doi:10.1016/j.cptl.2015.08.002
- Using standardized patients to teach therapeutic communication in psychiatric nursing.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2014; 10: e81-e86https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2013.08.005
- Building therapeutic connections with the acutely ill through standardized patient simulation in nurse education an evaluation study.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 84104261https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.104261