- •A combined synchronous-asynchronous method is best for online screen-based simulation.
- •Synchronous-asynchronous screen-based simulation allows for experiential learning.
- •Trainees rapidly master asynchronous high-fidelity screen-based programs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Determinants of education quality: what makes students’ perception different?.Open Review of Educational Research. 2016; 3 (doi:): 52-67https://doi.org/10.1080/23265507.2016.1155167
- Essentials of debriefing in simulation-based education.in: Mahoney B. Minehart R. Pian-Smith M.C.M. Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Anesthesiology. Springer, 2020: 37-46https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-26849-7_4 (doi:)
CAE Health care (n.d.). Anesthesia SimSTAT: continuing education for the anesthesiologist in a virtual learning environment. Accessed on June 8, 2022. Available at: https://www.caehealthcare.com/services/industry-training-solutions/anesthesia-simstat/
- Evaluation of simulation experiential learning during the pandemic.Clinical Nurse Specialist. 2021; 35: 44-45https://doi.org/10.1097/NUR.0000000000000570
- Telesimulation-based education during COVID-19.The Clinical Teacher. 2021; 18: 121-125https://doi.org/10.1111/tct.13273
- Improving patient safety through simulation training in anesthesiology: where are we?.Anesthesiology Research and Practice. 2016; 4237523https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4237523
- Can video games enhance surgical skills acquisition for medical students? A systematic review.Surgery. 2021; 169: 821-829https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2020.11.034
- A prospective study of the effect of video games on robotic surgery skills using the high-fidelity virtual reality RobotiX simulator.Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2019; 10: 627-634https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S199323
- Learners and luddites in the twenty-first century: bringing evidence-based education to anesthesiology.Anesthesiology. 2019; 131: 908-928https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000002827
- Development of a simulated objective structured clinical exam for the APPLIED Certification Exam in Anesthesiology: A two-year experience informed by feedback from exam candidates.Journal of Education in Perioperative Medicine. 2019; 21 (Available at:): E633
- The assessment of clinical skills/competence/performance.Academic Medicine. 1990; 65 (Suppl): S63-S67https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199009000-00045
- Challenges to online medical education during the COVID-19 pandemic.Cureus. 2020; 12: e8966https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.8966
- Mannequin-based simulators and part-task trainers.in: Mahoney B. Minehart R. Pian-Smith M.C.M. Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Anesthesiology. Springer, 2020: 107-115https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-26849-7_11 (doi:)
- Teaching surgical residents in the COVID-19 era: the value of a simulation strategy.Journal of Surgical Education. 2020; 78: 751-752https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.08.043
- Introduction.IT Through Experiential Learning: Learn, Deploy and Adopt IT through Gamification. Apress, 2016: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4842-2421-2_1
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on anesthesia trainees and their training.British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2020; 125: 450-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2020.07.011
- Constructing experiential learning for online courses: The birth ofE-Service.Educause Quarterly. 2004; 27 (Available at:): 62-65https://er.educause.edu/articles/2004/2/constructing-experiential-learning-for-online-courses-the-birth-of-eservice
- Mock oral board examination in nurse anesthesia education.Journal of Nursing Education. 2021; 60: 229-234https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20210322-09
- Distance education in anesthesia using screen-based simulation – a brief integrative review.Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2020; 11: 563-567https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S266469
- Synchronous screen-based simulation in anesthesia distance education.Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2021; 12: 945-956https://doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S323569
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
The research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. The authors have no conflicts of interest.