- •The Healthcare Standards of Best PracticesTM were initially developed when there was limited literature in the area of virtual simulations. The global pandemic required most simulation experiences to be conducted virtually.
- •This study is a multi-site, multi-program, and multi-lingual study that looks at common elements in virtual simulation implementation that promote simulation effectiveness.
- •The role of the facilitator in all areas that are external to the active play aspect of virtual simulation such as orientation, prebriefing, and debriefing are key to simulation effectiveness.
- •“Out of the box” virtual simulation solutions require the same level of engagement by the facilitator in virtual simulation as in-person simulation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Exploring student perceptions of virtual simulation versus traditional and manikin-based simulation.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 683-689
- Debriefing: A place for enthusiastic teaching and learning at a distance.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2020; 49: 16-18
- Simulation in the internet age: The place of Web-based simulation in nursing education: An integrative review.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34: 1435-1442
- What's in a name? Clarifying the nomenclature of virtual simulation.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 27: 26-30
- Creating psychological safety during a virtual simulation session.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 57: 14-17
- Online virtual simulation and diagnostic reasoning: A scoping review.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12: 377-384https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2016.04.001
- Embracing disruption: Measuring effectiveness of virtual simulations in advanced practice curriculum.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 57: 41-47
Leighton, K., Ravert, P., Mudra, V., & Macintosh, C. (2018). Simulation effectiveness tool -modified. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/view/evaluatinghealthcaresimulation/set-m, Accessed date September 15, 2022.
- Updating the Simulation Effectiveness Tool: Item modifications and reevaluation of psychometric properties.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2015; 36: 317-323https://doi.org/10.5480/15-1671
- Effectiveness of debriefing methods for virtual simulation: A systematic review.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 57 (l): 18-30
- Clinical virtual simulation in nursing education: randomized controlled trial.Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2019; 21: 1-8
- Impact of prebriefing on competency performance, clinical judgment and experience in simulation: An experimental study.Nurse Education Today. 2017; 48: 78-83
- Educational characteristics of virtual simulation in nursing: An integrative review.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 37: 18-28
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practicetm prebriefing: preparation and briefing.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 9-13
- Healthcare simulation standards of best practice tm simulation design.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 14-21