- •Unique exploration of nursing students learning empathy through simulation.
- •Demonstrating empathy facilitates trust with patients and family members.
- •Navigate end-of-life discussions with empathy.
- •Empathy facilitates collaborative plan of care.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
- Research Methods for Social Workers. 8th. Pearson, New York2018
Alligood, M. R. (2002). A theory of the art of nursing discovered in rogers' science of unitary human beings, Int J Hum Caring, 6(2), 55-60.
- The theory of the art of nursing and the practice of human care quality.Visions: The Journal of Rogerian Nursing Science. 2017; 23: 4-12
- Teaching empathy to medical students: an updated, systematic review.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 1171-1177
- Communication skills training for physicians improves patient satisfaction.J Gen Intern Med. 2016; 31: 755-761
- A review of empathy education in nursing.Nurs Inq. 2010; 17: 66-74
- Fundamental patterns of knowing in nursing.Adv Nurs Sci. 1978; 1: 13-23
- TeamSTEPPS: assuring optimal teamwork in clinical settings.American Journal of Medical Quality. 2007; : 214-217https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860607300616
- Empathy: a review of the concept.Emot Rev. 2014; 8: 144-153
- Empathy in the emotional interactions with patients. Is it positive for nurses, too?.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2014; 4: 74-81
- A comparative cross-sectional study on the level of empathy between the freshmen to senior undergraduate student nurses.Int J Adv Res Dev. 2018; 3: 3-10
- An exploratory study of factors influencing student nurses’ empathy.J Health Educ Res Dev. 2018; 6: 2-7
- Empathic attitudes among nursing students: a preliminary study.Acta Biomed. 2017; 88: 22-30
- Measuring empathy in healthcare profession students using the jefferson scale of physician empathy: health provider – student version.J Interprof Care. 2011; 25: 287-293
- Re-examining empathy: A relational-feminist point of view.Social Work. 2007; 52: 251-259
- Understanding empathy as a complex construct: a review of the literature.Clin Soc Work J. 2011; 39: 252-253
- Interprofessional education: Insights from a cohort of nursing students.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2018; 34: 219-225
- Interprofessional education for social work students: Findings from a multi-year cohort.Journal of Baccalaureate Social Work. 2019;
- Three approaches to a qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 730-741
- The effect of empathy training on the empathic skills of nurses.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; 18: e24847
- A systematic review of the associations between empathy measures and patient outcomes in cancer care.. 2012; 21 (Psycho Oncol): 1255-1264https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.2115
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of empathy education for undergraduate nursing students.Nurse Educ Today. 2019; 75: 80-94
- Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1994
- An exploratory study of student nurses empathy.Health Sci. 2012; 6: 534-554
- Long-term effects of empathy training in surgery residents: a one year follow-up study.Eur J Pers Cent Healthc. 2013; 1: 326-332
- Empathy and the development of affective skills.Am J Pharm Educ. 2018; 82: 1140-1143
- Improving empathy and relational skills in otolaryngology residents; A pilot study.Otolaryng Head Neck. 2011; 144: 120-122
- The science of empathy.The Journal of Patient Experience. 2017; 4 (doi: 10.1177%2F2374373517699267): 74-77
- Empathy patients compared between first and final year nursing students.J Holist Nurs. 2017; 27: 79-85
- Educating for empathy: a review.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 524-530
- The efficacy of empathy training: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Couns Psychol. 2016; 63: 32-41
- The empathy enigma: does it still exist? Comparison of empathy using students and standardized actors.Nurse Educ. 2016; 41: 134-138
- Empathy in nurse-patient interaction: a conversational analysis.BMC Nursing. 2021; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-021-00535-0
Disclosure: This publication is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $3.7 million with zero percentage financed with nongovernmental sources. The contents are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government.