In the midst of the novel coronavirus pandemic, health professions educators are leaping to find online learning solutions. Although virtual simulation has been an increasingly used pedagogy, there is now a surge in interest regarding the evidence in this area as well as clarity with respect to definition. When examining the revised Healthcare Simulation Dictionary, several definitions are provided under the term “virtual simulation” (
Lioce, 2020). Although this dictionary is highly regarded and is certainly the “go-to” reference for terminology used in simulation, the definitions of “virtual simulation” are highly varied with sources ranging from decades to centuries ago.
- Lioce L.
- Lopreiato J.
Downing D. Chang T.P. Robertson J.M. Anderson M. Diaz D.A. Spain A.E. The Terminology and Concepts Working Group (2020) Healthcare Simulation Dictionary–Second Edition. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2020
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A call to unify definitions of virtual reality.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2019; 31: 28-34https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.02.006
- Downing D. Chang T.P. Robertson J.M. Anderson M. Diaz D.A. Spain A.E. The Terminology and Concepts Working Group (2020) Healthcare Simulation Dictionary–Second Edition. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2020 (AHRQ Publication No. 20-0019)
- Virtual simulation in nursing education: A systematic review spanning 1996-2018.Simulation in Healthcare. 2020; 15 (In this issue): 46-54https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0000000000000411
Published online: January 12, 2021
© 2020 International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.