- •Students who received simulation-based nursing training felt more self-efficacy for pediatric skills than students who received classical training.
- •There were no statistically significant differences in state anxiety levels between the groups.
- •Students who received simulation-based nursing training displayed lower trait anxiety levels.
- •Simulation methods in pediatric nursing training increase students’ practice skills while reducing their anxiety levels. It encourages consideration of using simulation-based nursing training methods in nursing training as well as in establishing relevant laboratories.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
- Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency.American Psychologist. 1982; 37: 122https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- The study, evaluation, and improvement of university student self-efficacy.Studies in Higher Education. 2016; 41: 1918-1942https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2014.999319
- The effect of simulation on skill performance: A need for change in pediatric nursing education.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2015; 30: 439-446https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2014.12.010
- Preparing pediatric nurses: The role of simulation-based learning.Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 2009; 32: 4-15https://doi.org/10.1080/01460860802610178
- Pediatric variations of nursing interventions.in: Hockenberry M.J. Wilson D. Wong's essentials of pediatric nursing. 9th ed. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2013: 635-705
- Enhancing the pediatric undergraduate nursing curriculum through simulation.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2011; 26: 224-229https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2010.06.012
- Impact of simulation on safe medication practice with diploma/ADN students.Teaching and Learning in Nursing. 2013; 8: 147-156https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2013.07.004
- Çocuk, hastalık ve hastane ortamı (Child, illness and hospital environment).in: Conk Z. Basbakkal Z. Bal Yılmaz H. Bolısık B. Pediatri Hemsireligi. Akademisyen Tıp Kitabevi, Ankara, Turkey2013: 101-160 ([in Turkish])
- Factors affecting job satisfaction and anxiety levels in the nurses.Erciyes Medical Journal. 2007; 29 ([in Turkish]): 139-146
- Effect of high-fidelity simulation on pediatric nursing students' anxiety.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2012; 8: e419-e428https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2011.03.006
Foronda C., Liu S., & Bauman, E.B. (2013). Evaluation of simulation in undergraduate nurse education: An integrative review, Clinical Simulation in Nursing 9(10), e409-e416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2012.11.003.
- Using simulation to teach patient safety behaviors in undergraduate nursing education.Journal of Nursing Education. 2010; 49: 48-52https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090918-10
- The effects of simulated clinical experiences on anxiety: nursing students' perspectives.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2011; 7: e175-e180https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.02.001
- Use of simulation in nursing education.Journal of Duzce University Health Sciences Institute. 2014; 4 ([in Turkish]): 25-29
- Error identification and recovery by student nurses using human patient simulation: Opportunity to improve patient safety.Applied Nursing Research. 2010; 23: 11-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2008.02.004
- Communication and physical assessment of the child.in: Hockenberry M.J. Wilson D. Wong's essentials of pediatric nursing. 9th ed. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2013: 86-143
- Simulation and its effect on anxiety in baccalaureate nursing students.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2016; 37: 45-47https://doi.org/10.5480/13-1279
- The views of students regarding the use of simulated patient.Journal of Contemporary Medicine. 2015; 5 ([in Turkish]): 36-44
- Simulation in nursing education: An evaluation of students' outcomes at their first clinical practice combined with simulation.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34: 252-258https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.08.015
- Cocuk Saglıgı Temel Hemsirelik Yaklasımları.Goktug Yayıncılık, Ankara, Turkey2012: 75-145 ([in Turkish])
- Assessment for simulation learning outcomes: A comparison of knowledge and self-reported confidence with observed clinical performance.Nurse Education Today. 2012; 32: e35-e39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.10.006
- Satisfaction and self-confidence with nursing clinical simulation: Novice learners, medium-fidelity, and community settings.Nurse Education Today. 2017; 48: 140-144https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.10.010
- The effects of pediatric community simulation experience on the self-confidence and satisfaction of baccalaureate nursing students: A quasi-experimental study.Nurse Education Today. 2016; 39: 93-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2016.01.013
- Using high-fidelity simulation to bridge clinical and classroom learning in undergraduate pediatric nursing.Nurse Education. 2013; 33: 648-654https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.01.005
- Causes of student anxiety during simulation: What the literature says.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2013; 9: e507-e512https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2013.03.003
- The effects of simulation-based learning using standardized patients in nursing students: A meta-analysis.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: e6-e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.01.019
- Durumluk/Surekli Kaygı Envanteri El Kitabı.Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Yayınları, İstanbul1985: 1-26 ([in Turkish])
- Comparison of effects of training programs for final year nursing students in Turkey: Differences in self-efficacy with regard to information literacy.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: e73-e77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.10.008
- The relationship between self-esteem and State-Trait Anxiety in nurses: A sample of a university hospital.Is, Guc: The Journal of Industial relations & Human Resources. 2013; 15 ([in Turkish]): 1-15
- Opinions of nursing students towards simulation efficiency in nursing education.International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention. 2016; 5: 32-36
- Hemsireler için Çocuk Saglıgı ve Hastalıkları Öğrenim Rehberi.in: Savaser S. Yıldız S. İstanbul Tıp Kitabevi, İstanbul, Turkey2009: 51-123 ([in Turkish])
- Use of simulation in nursing education: A systematic review.Florance Nigthingale Journal of Nursing. 2015; 23 ([in Turkish]): 49-56
- Investigating the use of simulation as a teaching strategy.Nursing Standard. 2010; 24: 42-48
- Effectiveness of patient simulation in nursing education: meta-analysis.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: 176-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.09.009
- Manual for the state-trait anxiety inventory.Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA1970: 23-49
- Stress and anxiety: the series in clinical psychology.Hemisphere, Washington, DC1975
- Nursing students' status of identifying nursing diagnosis and interventions on cases for trauma patient.Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences. 2012; 15 ([in Turkish]): 106-118
- Nursing students' opinions about simulation method.Journal of Hacettepe University Faculty of Nursing. 2012; 19 ([in Turkish]): 16-23
- The pediatric clinical practice skills and anxiety levels of the students who take pediatrics nursing course, and related factors.International Refereed Journal Of Nursing Researches. 2016; 7 ([in Turkish]): 136-155
- Attitudes and awareness of research among nursing students trained based on classical and integrated education model.DEUHFED. 2013; 6 ([in Turkish]): 132-138
- Self-efficacy: an essential motive to learn.Contemporary Educational Psychology. 2000; 25: 82-91
Authorship statement: We confirm that all listed authors meet the authorship criteria and that all authors are in agreement with the content of the article. All people who meet authorship criteria are listed as authors, and all authors certify that they have participated sufficiently in the work to take public responsibility for the content, including participation in the concept, design, analysis, writing, or revision of the article. Furthermore, each author certifies that this material or similar material has not been and will not be submitted to or published in any other publication before its appearance in the Clinical Simulation in Nursing journal.
This study was presented as a poster in 5th International and 16th National Nursing Congress, on 5th November- 8th November 2017, in Ankara, Turkey.