- •The students like the graphics, fun games and interactive activities.
- •The anatomy-augmented reality trainer was better at visualizing internal structures.
- •The anatomy-augmented reality trainer mixes video and virtual elements.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The history of simulation and its impact on the future.AACN. Advanced Critical Care. 2016; 27: 56-61
- Simulation in nursing practice: The impact on patient care.The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2013; 18: 6
- Fact sheets. Nursing faculty shortage.2015 (Retrieved from)
- Augmented reality trends in education: A systematic review of research and applications.Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 2014; 17: 133-149
- Systematic review on the effectiveness of augmented reality applications in medical training.Surgical Endoscopy. 2016; 30: 4174-4183
- Effect of just-in-time simulation training on provider performance and patient outcomes for clinical procedures: A systematic review.BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning. 2015; 1: 94-102
- Simulation in the internet age: The place of web-based simulation in nursing education. An integrative review.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34: 1435-1442
- Simulation-based learning in nurse education: Systematic review.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2010; 66: 3-15
- The evolution of simulation and its contribution to competency.The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2008; 39: 74-80
- Augmented reality, virtual reality and gaming: An integral part of nursing.Contemporary Nurse. 2015; 51: 1-4
- Augmented reality m-learning to enhance nursing skills acquisition in the clinical skills laboratory.Interactive Technology and Smart Education. 2015; 12: 298-314
- Deliberate practice for mastery learning in nursing.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2017; 13: 10-14
- The NCSBN national simulation study: A longitudinal, randomized, controlled study replacing clinical hours with simulation in prelicensure nursing education.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2015; 5: S1-S64
- The effects of scenario-based simulation course training on nurses' communication competence and self-efficacy: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2015; 31: 37-49
- INACSL standards of best practice: SimulationSM simulation design.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2016; 12: S5-S12
- Clinical scenarios: Enhancing the skill set of the nurse as a vigilant guardian.The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2010; 41: 347-353
- Immersive virtual reality simulations in nursing education.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2010; 31: 314-317
- High-fidelity simulation and the development of clinical judgment: Student's experiences.Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46: 269-276
- Simulation-based learning: Just like the real thing.Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock. 2010; 3: 348
- Augmented reality in education and training.TechTrends. 2012; 56: 13-21
- Cognitive, performance, and systems issues for augmented reality applications in manufacturing and maintenance.in: Virtual reality Annual International Symposium, 1998. Proceedings, IEEE 1998. IEEE, Atlanta, Georgia1998: 4-11
- Situated cognition: Its relationship to simulation in nursing education.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2011; 8: e273-e280
- Augmented reality in education: A meta-review and cross-media analysis.Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 2014; 18: 1533-1543
- First person point of view augmented reality for central line insertion training: A usability and feasibility study.Simulation in Healthcare. 2017; 12: 57-62
- The use of augmented reality in formal education: A scoping review.Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education. 2017; 13: 503-520
- Re-evaluating simulation in nursing education: Beyond the human patient simulator.Journal of Nursing Education. 2009; 48: 388e-394e
- Little people, big lessons: An innovative strategy to develop interpersonal skills in undergraduate nursing students.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34: 1201-1206
- Effectiveness of patient simulation in nursing education: Meta-analysis.Nurse Education Today. 2015; 35: 176-182
- Piloting augmented reality technology to enhance realism in clinical simulation.CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 2016; 34: 402-405
- Clinical competence assessment in nursing: A systematic review of the literature.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2002; 39: 421-431
- Augmented reality in healthcare education: An integrative review.PeerJ. 2014; 2: e469
Funding: This work was supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (National Institute of General Medical Sciences), Bethesda, MD to Dr. Levine (grant number: R43GM113376 ).
Disclaimer: Dr. Levine is the Chief Medical Officer and President of ArchieMD, Inc. but was funded independently for this project by a grant from the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Levine was responsible for the development of the interactive program and read the final article but had no involvement in subject recruitment, data collection, scoring, statistical analysis, or interpretation of the data. None of the other investigators have any financial, commercial, or other interests in ArchieMD, Inc. to declare.