- •Creating ambulatory care simulation environment for primary care nurse practitioner student simulations can be challenging.
- •The students rated the debriefing experience as consistently effective at helping them to identify how to improve or sustain good performance.
- •Further research should focus on innovative, resource-effective strategies to use standardized patients within simulation for primary care nurse practitioner student teaching and evaluation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The essentials of master's education in nursing.2011 (Retrieved October 22, 2014, from)
- Retrieved from)http://www.aspeducators.org/Date: 2013 (
- Pediatric disaster simulation in graduate and undergraduate nursing education.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2013; (Retrieved from)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2012.12.004
- Objective structured clinical evaluation effectiveness in clinical evaluation for family nurse practitioner students.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2013; 9: e453-e459
- Instructiveness of real patients and simulated patients in undergraduate medical education: A randomized experiment.Academic Medicine. 2010; 85: 148-154https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181c48130
- Debriefing assessment for simulation in healthcare development and psychometric properties.Simulation in Healthcare. 2012; 7: 288-294https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e3182620228
- Debriefing Assessment for Simulation in Healthcare© (DASH©).(Retrieved from https://harvardmedsim.org/debriefing-assesment-simulation-healthcare.php)Date: 2014
- Comparative effectiveness of technology-enhanced simulation versus other instructional methods.Simulation in Healthcare. 2012; 308: 308-320https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e3182614f95
- Technology-enhanced simulation for health professional education.Jounal of the American Medical Association. 2011; 306: 978-988
- Using debriefing for meaningful learning to foster development of clinical reasoning in simulation.Journal of Nursing Education. 2012; 51: 326-333https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20120409-02
- Examination of standardized patient performance: Accuracy and consistency of six standardized patients over time.Patient Education and Counseling. 2011; 85: 194-200https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2010.10.005
- Nurse practitioner education: Greater demand, reduced training opportunities.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2015; 27: 66-71https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12175
- Reconsidering fidelity in simulation-based training.Academia Medicine. 2014; 89: 387-392https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000000130
- The NCSBN national simulation study: a longitudinal, randomized, controlled study replacing clinical hours with simulation in prelicensure nursing education.The Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2014; 5 (Retrieved from https://www.ncsbn.org/JNR_Simulation_Supplement.pdf)
Health Professions and Nursing Education Coalition. (n.d.). Funding Updates. Retrieved from https://www.aamc.org/advocacy/hpnec/
- Standards of Best Practice I - VII.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2013; 9 (Retrieved from http://www.inacsl.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3407): s1-s32
- Features and uses of high-fidelity medical simulations that lead to effective learning: A BEME systematic review.Medical Teacher. 2005; 27: 10-28
- Multi-center development and testing of a simulation-based cardiovascular assessment curriculum for advanced practice nurses.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2011; 32: 316-322
- Objective structured clinical examination and advanced practice nursing students.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2009; 25: 186-191https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2009.01.005
- Educating neonatal nurse practitioners in the 21st century.Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. 2011; 25: 200-205https://doi.org/10.1097/JPN.0b013e318218137a
- A ten-year review of the literature on the use of standardized patients in teaching and learning: 1996-2005.Medical Teacher. 2009; 31: 487-492https://doi.org/10.1080/01421590802530898
- A critical review of simulation-based medical education research: 2003-2009.Medical Education. 2010; 44: 50-63https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03547.x
- Developing a successful nursing objective structured clinical examination.Jounal of Nursing Education. 2010; 49: 36-41https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090915-01
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Expert Panel Report 3 guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. 2007; (Retrieved from)
- Implementing standardized patients to teach cultural competency to graduate nursing students.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2014; 10 (Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187613991300162X#): e87-e94
- Optimizing the utility of communication OSCEs:omit station-specific checklists and provide students with narrative feedback.Patient Education and Counseling. 2012; 88: 106-112
- The use of simulation with advanced practice nursing students.Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2012; 24: 516-520https://doi.org/10.111/j.1745-7599.2012.00760.x
- Patient communication simulation laboratory for students in an acute care nurse practitioner program.American Journal of Critical Care. 2008; 17: 364-372
- Objective structured clinical examination (OSCE): Review of literature and implications for nursing education.Nurse Education Today. 2007; 27: 481-490https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.08.009
- Using standardized patients to strengthen nurse practitioner competency in the clinical setting.Nursing Education Perspective. 2013; 34: 118-121