- •Psychological safety impacts the learners' ability to engage in critical reflection.
- •Without faculty training, engagement in critical reflection may not occur.
- •Engagement of the learners in critical reflection is essential to fostering a change in perspective.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Simulation In Nursing
- Debriefing in simulation-based learning facilitating a reflective discussion.The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. 2010; 24 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JPN.obo13e33181f6b5ec): 302-309
- Organizational learning: A theory of action perspective.Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA1978
- Theory in practice: Increasing professional effectiveness.Jossey-Bass, London1974
- The effect of enhanced experiential learning on the personal reflection of undergraduate medical students.Medical Education. 2008; 13 (http://dx.doi.org.10.3402/meo.v13i.4484): 1-10
- The development of a scale to measure personal reflection in medical practice and education.Medical Teacher. 2007; 29: 177-182
- Promoting reflection in learning: A model.in: Boud D. Keogh R. Walker D. Reflection: Turning experience into learning. Kogan Page, London1985: 18-30
- Debriefing assessment for simulation in healthcare: Assessment of the reliability of a debriefing instrument for use in the EXPRESS trial and beyond.Simulation in Healthcare. 2009; 4 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e3181e5e48a): 238-239
- The importance of debriefing in clinical simulation.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2008; 4 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2008.06.006): e19-e23
- Comparison of simulation debriefing methods.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2012, September; 8: e281-e288https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.12.005
- Understanding and promoting transformative learning.Jossey-Bass, San Francisco2006
- Standards of best practice: Simulation standard IV: The debriefing process.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2013; 9 (http://dx.doi.org/10/1016/j.ecns.2013.04.008): S26-S29
- Using debriefing for meaningful learning to foster development of clinical reasoning in simulation.Journal of Nursing Education. 2012; 51 (http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20120409-02): 326-333
- The essentials of debriefing in simulation learning: A concept analysis.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2009; 30: 109-114
- Psychological safety and learning behavior in work teams.Administrative Science Quarterly. 1999; 40: 350-381
- The role of debriefing in simulation-based learning.Simulation in Healthcare. 2007; 2 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SIH0b013e3180315539): 115-125
- Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses.Behavior Research Methods. 2009; 41: 1149-1160https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Features and uses of high-fidelity medical simulations that lead to effective learning: A BEME systematic review.Medical Teacher. 2005; 27 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01421590500046924): 10-28
- Simulation in health care education.Perspectives in Biology and Medicine. 2008; 51 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/pbm.2008.004): 31-46
- Jeffries P.R. Simulation in nursing education: Advanced concepts and opportunities. National League for Nursing, New York, NY2014: 44-58
- Handbook of the evolving research of transformative learning.Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC2009
- Transformative learning through virtual patient simulations: Predicting critical student reflections.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2014, June; 10: e301-e308
- Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey1984
- Debriefing with the OPT model of clinical reasoning during high fidelity patient simulation.International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 2008; 5: 1-24
- Perceptions of the use of reflective learning journals in online graduate nursing education.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2010; 31 (http://dx.doi.org/00024776-201001000-00005): 12-17
- High-fidelity simulation and the development of clinical judgment: Students' experiences.Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46: 269-276
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of simulation debriefing in health professional education.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2013.09.020): e58-63
- A critical review of simulation-based medical education research: 2003-2009.Medical Education. 2010; 44 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03547.x): 50-63
- Mezirow J. Learning as transformation: Critical perspectives on a theory in progress. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco2000
- Mezirow J. Taylor E. Transformative learning in practice: Insights from community, workplace and higher education. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2009
- High-fidelity patient simulation in nursing education.Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA2010: 369-384
- High-fidelity simulation debriefing in nursing: A literature review.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2011; 7 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2011.02.001): e161-e168
- An evaluation of process and outcomes from learning through reflective practice groups on a post-registration nursing course.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2000; 31: 689-695https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01396.x
- Research regarding debriefing as part of the learning process.Simulation in Healthcare. 2011; 6: S52-S57https://doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e31822724d0
- Debriefing simulations: Comparison of debriefing with video or alone.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2013, December; 9 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2013.05.007): e585-e591
- Helping without harming: The instructor’s feedback dilemma in debriefing—A case study.Simulation in Healthcare. 2013; 8 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SIH.0b013e318294854e): 304-316
- There's no such thing as “nonjudgmental” debriefing: A theory and method for debriefing with good judgment.Simulation in Healthcare. 2006; 1: 49-55
- Debriefing as formative assessment: Closing performance gaps in medical education.Academic Emergency Medicine. 2008; 15 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00248.x): 1010-1016
- Debriefing with good judgment: Combining rigorous feedback with genuine inquiry.Anesthesiology Clinics. 2007; 25: 361-376https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anclin.2007.03.007
- The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action.Basic Books Inc, New York, New York1983
- Debriefing the most important component in simulation?.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2011; 7: e105-e111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns2010.11.005
Simon R, Rudolph J, Raemer D: (2009). Debriefing assessment for simulation in healthcare. Retrieved from http://www.harvardmedsim.org/debriefing-assesment-simulation-healthcare.php. Accessed May 1, 2014.
- Debriefing with good judgment: Technique for formative feedback, reflection, and behavior change in healthcare simulation.in: Levine A.I. DeMaria S. Schwartz A.D. Sim A.J. The comprehensive textbook of healthcare simulation. Springer Publishing, New York2013
The INASCL Board of Director (2011, August). Standard VI: The debriefing process. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 7(4S), S16 – S17. http://dx.doi.org/10.10161/j.ecns.2011.05.010.