- •Improving RN orientation requires adaptations in the individual, experiences, and environment.
- •Implementation of an experiential learning–based program can reduce RN orientation by 3.6 to 3.9 weeks.
- •RN orientation programs can provide a return on investment for simulation centers and health care systems.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The influence of experience and deliberate practice on the development of superior expert performance.in: Ericsson K.A. Charness N. Hoffman R. Feltovich J. The Cambridge handbook of expertise and expert performance. Cambridge University Press, New York2006: 683-703
- Structure mapping in analogy and similarity.Am J Psychology. 1997; 52: 45-56
- Paying for nursing orientation: A huge cost to hospitals.Journal for Nurses in Staff Development. 2010; 26: E3-E7
- Transitional orientation: A cost-effective alternative to traditional RN residency programs.Nursing Economics. 2013; 31 (183): 172-175
- Novice nurses' experiences of unpreparedness at the beginning of the work.Global Journal of Health Science. 2013; 6: 215-222
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation initiative on the future of nursing.Institute of Medicine, 2010 (held February 23, 2010)
- Curriculum development for medical education: A Six-step Approach.Johns Hopkins Press, 1998
- An analysis of restructuring orientation to enhance nurse retention.Health Care Management (Frederick). 2012; 31: 302-307https://doi.org/10.1097/HCM.0b013e31826fe298
- Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1984
- Collaborative hospital orientation: Simulation as a teaching strategy.Nurs Leadersh (Tor Ont). 2013; 26: 61-69
- Clinical judgment: The last frontier for evaluation.Nursing Leadership in Practice. 2011; 11: 86-92
- Clinical judgment development: Using simulation to create an assessment rubric.Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46: 496-503
- Opening the doors to the OR: Providing students with perioperative clinical experiences.AORN Jour. 2011; 94: 180-188
- Using simulation training to improve perioperative patient safety.AORN Jour. 2013; 97: 419-427
- The theory of organisational socialisation and its potential for improving transition experiences for new graduate nurses.Nurse Educ Today. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.07.011
- Best practices of formal new graduate nurse transition programs: An integrative review.International Journal of Nursing Students. 2013; 50: 345-356https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.06.009
- Lost in transition–A review of qualitative literature of newly qualified Registered Nurses' experiences in their transition to practice journey.Nurse Education Today. 2013; 33: 143-147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.08.016
- Theoretical foundations of learning through simulation.Seminars in Perinatology. 2011; 35: 47-51
- The 3D model of debriefing: Defusing, discovering, and deepening.Seminars in Perinatology. 2011; 35: 52-58